I know I’ve been bad. I haven’t posted anything other than a few random camera phone shots in several weeks. But there’s a reason for my recent radio silence.
I finally took a cue from Johnny Paycheck (as written by David Allan Coe) and shoved the day job so I could go into business for myself. My last day
at the hoochie factory in the online relationship business was January 27th and I’m now officially on my own.
(You can celebrate with me by downloading Take This Job and Shove It from iTunes and singing along!)
Quitting your job can be a great feeling if you’re leaving on good terms, and this was just such an event. Scott even gave me a trophy!
The last day in the office was like a birthday party. I actually received several other gifts from my friends on the team, but unfortunately (for you) most of them aren’t exactly appropriate for public viewing. While I don’t miss the daily grind, I already miss my office friends. They’re A+ in my book.
So what am I doing? Two things, for now:
- I’m helping start up a textbook publishing company. I’m mostly doing web work for them for now, but will be editing and probably doing a little marketing magic as well. We’re still pretty early in the game on this one, so there’s nothing to show off yet, but I’m really excited about it.
- I’m also helping my friend Carol grow her wellness center, Integrated Healthworks, through a little more of that marketing magic. (Step one: Website version 2.0 coming soon!) If you’re in need of a good headshrinking, therapeutic massage or advice from a registered dietician give IH a call. (And if you tell them Bo sent you they probably won’t hang up on you! You might as well take advantage while I still have a good reputation!)
So … since I’ve been getting the working from home in gym shorts gig up and running, you can understand why things have been a little hectic … hence the limited posting activity.
Now that I’m a little more settled in (and stir crazy) you can expect the updates to arrive with greater frequency. So hooray for blogging.
So outside of the work stuff, what’s going on? Here are some random anecdotes about my last couple of weeks:
1 – A Call to Action
Last Saturday the phone rang and I looked down at the caller ID to see:
“I better answer this!” I said to myself. “Superman may be in trouble and his sidekick/photographer immediately thought to call me because the only thing that can save Supes from Lex Luthor’s latest dastardly villainous plan is my keen recollection of pop culture trivia!”
It turns out Jimmy just wanted me to vote for some local schmoe for county judge. It was a big disappointment to say the least.
2 – Delivery at the Drive-In
I drove to Sonic to grab one of those tasty Tuesday night half-price burgers. While I’m munching away on my #2 cheeseburger with jalapeÃ±os a Domino’s driver parks in the spot next to me and runs a couple of pizzas inside.
I have two thoughts on this:
- It’s cool that the fine folks at the local Sonic are getting rewarded for good service with a pizza dinner.
- Even though I know I wouldn’t want to eat at the same place every day, it’s still somehow a bit disconcerting that people who work at a restaurant have to order out for food from somewhere else.
When it comes down to it though, it doesn’t matter. Sonic’s Strawberry Limeade is crazy delicious. It’s addictive. It’s like crack, but cheaper, tasty, and a lot less bad for you.
3 – China Hates Jesus, Loves Jesus Merchandise
It’s like a Magic 8 Ball, but when you turn it over, the advice is all Jesusy.
But you’ll also notice this:
I have to wonder how the Chinese government justifies itself on stuff like this. It’s a good idea to repress religious expression, unless you can cash in on it? I wonder if these are legal for sale in Lhasa.
4 – The top 4 search terms that brought people to my website in January
- small bathroom
- snl weiners wmv
- thrifty nickel vicksburg ms
If you actually read this far, you have way too much time on your hands.